- 1 Insomnia requiring treatment
- 2 Causes of insomnia
- 3 How to deal with insomnia
- 3.1 Preventive measures
- 3.2 What to do at home if there is insomnia?
- 3.3 How to treat insomnia with medication
- 3.4 What to drink if you suffer from insomnia: non-prescription drugs
- 3.5 Drug-free methods
- 3.6 How to deal with insomnia folk remedies
- 3.7 Related Posts
For a number of reasons, the struggle with insomnia now occupies the minds of many people. Regular stress, chronic diseases and other adverse factors lead to the fact that quite a few people are getting enough sleep. In varying degrees, almost everyone faces the problem of lack of sleep.
If the “night vigil” are extremely rarely repeated episodes, then there is no reason to worry. Everyone has exciting moments in life, not allowing to fall asleep. Another thing, if a person suffers from insomnia for a long time. Here you need to understand what causes insomnia, and look for methods to combat it.
Insomnia requiring treatment
Situations such as excitement before an exam or a child’s illness happen to everyone. An overstrain of the nervous system can lead to short-term sleep disturbance. If the next day a person fell asleep normally and slept well, then there is no reason to worry.
It is quite another thing if insomnia lasts a week or more. Doctors call this condition “insomnia” and classify it as requiring treatment. Due to prolonged sleep problems a person may develop serious disorders:
- powerlessness, lethargy during the daytime;
- difficulties with perception, memorization of information;
- cardiovascular diseases;
- violations in the reproductive, other systems.
Sleep is the most important mechanism of self-regulation of the body. His absence leads to extremely serious consequences, so even mild insomnia requires attention. There are the following types of insomnia:
- Transistor. This is the easiest insomnia, which happens to almost everyone. After the normalization of the regime, the elimination of disturbing psyche factors, it passes by itself.
- Short term. With such insomnia, patients can not sleep from a few days to a month. This is a pathological condition that requires consulting a doctor and adequate treatment.
- Chronic. Such a diagnosis is made if a person cannot cope with insomnia for more than a month. Chronic insomnia is a dangerous problem that completely disqualifies a person. At the same time, physical and psychological health suffers, efficiency decreases, the overall quality of life decreases. Chronic insomnia requires compulsory treatment!
Causes of insomnia
The following factors can cause short-term or chronic insomnia:
- non-observance of sleep hygiene (late sleeping, taking overnight stimulating / alcoholic beverages, etc.);
- shift work, frequent flights, other specific working conditions;
- strong or prolonged nervous tension (or simply stress);
- diseases that cause night pains or breath holdings during sleep (osteochondrosis, apnea, etc.);
- III trimester of pregnancy, when a woman simply can not take a comfortable position in a dream because of the increased abdomen;
- mental disorders.
Read also … Is there any insomnia when quitting smoking and is it possible to mitigate its manifestations
This raises the question of how to eliminate insomnia in a particular case.
How to deal with insomnia
Severe chronic insomnia requires serious complex treatment, which can only be carried out by a doctor. When insomnia is caused by mental disorders, it is necessary to consult a psychotherapist or even a psychiatrist. Independently solve the problem will not work.
If osteochondrosis or another “physical” disease does not give a normal sleep, first of all it is necessary to treat it. When the cause disappears – night pains, inability to breathe normally, etc., – sleep gradually normalizes. If the problem lies in the field of professional, you will have to change work and restore the normal mode of the day.
Fighting insomnia helps (although not in all cases completely solve the problem) such measures as maintaining sleep hygiene, more comfortable arrangement of the bed, taking sedatives based on medicinal herbs. What generally helps from insomnia and that a person suffering from it can do on their own.
Very often, stress, imbalances of work and rest lead to sleep disorders. How to overcome insomnia in this case? There are several fundamental rules that will be useful to absolutely everyone:
- Observance of the daily regimen is the main condition for the normal operation of human biological clocks. In order not to have problems with falling asleep, you need to go to bed at the same time of day.
- An excellent prevention of insomnia is physical activity. Having spent a large amount of energy, the body itself will require rest. If a person does not sleep well, it is necessary to go in for sports, walk, run, swim, sign up for dancing or fitness more. Exercise only in the morning, until 17:00. Overexcited after an intense evening workout, the body simply cannot relax and fall asleep.
- A person has a sleep disorder or not, you never need to drink toning drinks (coffee, alcohol, energy) before bedtime.
- Dinner 3 hours before bedtime. It is inexpedient to go to bed on an empty stomach: a person simply cannot fall asleep due to obsessive urging of the stomach. Overeating is also bad. Heaviness in the stomach prevents normal sleep, provokes nightmares and frequent awakenings.
- Help with insomnia has a normal arrangement of the bed. The room should be dark, so you need to tightly close the curtains and turn off the lights, even in the hallway. It will help and purchase a more comfortable mattress.
- Do not watch TV at night! Especially news releases, action thrillers and similar programs. They strongly excite the psyche and prevent sleep. It is better to read a book by turning on a nightlight with a muffled light. The man will not notice how to fall asleep. Looking for means to combat insomnia, you need to pay attention to your favorite laptop. He is one of the main enemies of sound sleep. You can not sit in the evenings in social networks and play computer games!
- Good for insomnia helps normalize the temperature in the room. If the bedroom is too hot, it will be difficult to sleep. The optimum temperature at which the body can quickly relax is 18 degrees.
- Evening walks help. Before you go to bed, you need to walk an hour. The blood will be filled with oxygen, and sleep will be deep and calm.
- It is necessary to leave working problems at work. At home, deal only with family matters. Create a cozy, relaxed atmosphere in the apartment. Psychological comfort is very beneficial for sleep.
What to do at home if there is insomnia?
If stress at work or some other problem provoked sleep problems, these methods will help:
- Getting a warm bath before bed helps you fall asleep quickly. It relaxes and causes drowsiness.
- Another proven method is aromatherapy. The smell of lemon balm, lavender, valerian has a very good effect on the nervous system. You need to put a few sprigs of one of these plants in a canvas bag and hang it at the head of the bed.
- You can not get hung up on insomnia. Focusing on the problem causes stress, aggravates the situation. No need to look at the clock, intensely “waiting for” the onset of sleep. It is better to spend relaxing procedures, snuggle up in bed, dream about something pleasant. Sleep is not long in coming.
- No need to lie with your eyes open, peering into the darkness. It is necessary to close the eyelids. When the black in front of your eyes is filled with colored spots, you need to focus on them. This meditative action helps to fall asleep very well.
- Useful breathing exercises. You need to lie on your back, relax as much as possible, take a slow deep breath on 4 counts. When the lungs are completely filled with air, hold your breath for 6 bills and then exhale very slowly for 8 bills. Several approaches – and the person falls asleep.
- Light massage helps to fall asleep very well. Effects on the skin stimulates the receptors, relaxes the psyche. 15-20 minutes of massage – and the person begins to tend to sleep.
How to treat insomnia with medication
Treatment of prolonged insomnia should be prescribed by a doctor after a full examination of the patient, finding out the true causes of his problem. In some cases, insomnia is only a symptom of another, much more severe disease.
Looking for what to drink for insomnia, you need to remember: any drug (no matter how widely advertised it may be) can be taken only as directed by the attending physician. Especially it concerns:
- antidepressants (doxepin, etc.);
- barbiturates (Phenobarbital, Hexobarbital);
- imidazopyridines (Zolpidem);
- benzodiazepine group tranquilizers (Phenazepam, Triazolam, etc.);
- cyclopirrolone (Somnol, etc.).
Such drugs have a very serious effect on the brain, often make changes in hormonal and other systems. They have a lot of side effects. In addition, the listed drugs are addictive, so they are sold only by prescription.
Preparations from the above list are not always prescribed. Often it is quite enough to receive more benign over-the-counter sleeping pills that are made from herbs. Before you learn what to take at night from insomnia, you need to get acquainted with the main rules of their admission.
How to conduct drug treatment
Regardless of what the doctor prescribed, sleeping drugs:
- do not mix with alcohol;
- only in rare cases can it be combined with other medications;
- cannot be taken by children, pregnant women;
- It is strictly forbidden to drink for more than 3 weeks.
Almost all drugs that help get rid of insomnia have an inhibiting effect on the nervous system. The next day after taking a sleeping pill, drowsiness is observed, the reaction slows down. During the period of drug treatment of insomnia, you can not drive a car and operate mechanisms that require high concentration of attention.
What to drink if you suffer from insomnia: non-prescription drugs
Insomnia cures, which can be bought at a pharmacy without a prescription, produce a relaxing, sedative effect. Almost all of them are produced on tinctures of medicinal herbs, they are not addictive. Nevertheless, all the rules of taking medications of these drugs also apply.
This is what helps for insomnia and is sold in a pharmacy without a prescription:
- Fitoedan number 2;
- tincture of motherwort, lemon balm;
- valerian (tableted or in the form of tincture).
Very good help to quickly fall asleep with insomnia natural herbal teas with mint and oregano. Favorite by many, carcade also calms and relaxes.
The over-the-counter drug Melaxen is being sold without a prescription. It is based on the hormone melatonin. It helps to normalize circadian rhythms, regulates the endocrine system. Analogs of Melaxen – Yuklin, Cirkadin, Meloton.
These hormonal drugs effectively help treat insomnia, but have a long list of side effects. In view of this, it is necessary to obtain a doctor’s recommendation for such medicines, and not to drink them on one’s own initiative. Acceptance of drugs such as Melaxen requires constant monitoring by the doctor, strict adherence to the dosage!
To those who can not sleep at night because of obsessive insomnia, doctors prescribe not only medicines. Very good help:
- Psychotherapy. If the lack of sleep is caused by depression or stress, consult a therapist. The doctor will help to cope with these conditions, to stabilize the functioning of the nervous system.
- Autotraining. This technique has much in common with psychotherapy. With the only difference that auto-training is a certain correction by the patient of his own mental state. The technique involves the use of a number of specially developed techniques that help to relax, overcome fears, tune in to a positive wave.
- Phytotherapy. This is the use of various essential oils, vegetable fees, which have a positive effect on the psyche, relax, have a sedative effect.
- Acupuncture. For the procedure, special needles are used, which the doctor inserts into the skin in the area of biologically active points. The technique helps stabilize the mental state, strengthens the immune system, improves sleep.
- Phototherapy This is a method of treatment, which is carried out only in a hospital. The process uses waves of certain lengths that produce a source of artificial white light. The method helps to stabilize sleep.
How to deal with insomnia folk remedies
Opponents of drug treatment often ask how to fall asleep quickly if insomnia is prevalent, and you do not want to take medicine. Folk remedies for this problem very much. However, they all complement the mainstream therapy. Especially in the case of depression.
So, what does traditional medicine propose to do for insomnia?
If you cannot fall asleep because of intense feelings, you can drink an infusion of mint, valerian root, hop cones:
- Mix these ingredients in a 2: 1: 1 ratio.
- 2 tablespoons of this mixture should be filled with two glasses of boiling water.
- Half an hour collection should be infused under the lid.
- Then it must be filtered, taken half an hour before bedtime.
For 1 reception to drink 0.5 glass of infusion.
An excellent substitute for over-the-counter drugs is a drink from the following herbs: motherwort, peppermint, lemon balm, valerian (the root of this plant should be chopped and added to the rest of the ingredients).
Preparing a drink like this:
- All components are mixed, 1 teaspoon of the resulting mixture is poured with a glass of boiling water.
- Capacity with the resulting composition should be covered with a lid, so that the herbs are steamed and give up their juices.
- They should be drawn for no more than 10 minutes.
After that, the drink should be drained through cheesecloth, taken warm for half an hour before bedtime.
Dill tea is often used to stabilize the digestive system. Few people know that it helps from insomnia. For brewing tea, you can use greens or dill seeds.
The drink is prepared as follows:
- It is necessary to take 1 tablespoon of chopped greens or 2 teaspoons of seeds, pour them with a glass of boiling water.
- The process of insisting should last 2 hours.
- When the product is ready, you can drink it 0.5 cups three times a day.
Well removes stress, stabilizes sleep.
Wormwood and hawthorn
Tea with a hypnotic effect can be prepared from wormwood. A glass of boiling water will need 5 grams of grass. For 15 minutes, wormwood should be insisted, drink a quarter of a glass at night.
Similarly, you can prepare the infusion of hawthorn. For a glass of boiling water enough 40 grams of flowers of the plant. They start to steam for 45 minutes. Drink the resulting infusion need 1 tablespoon shortly before bedtime.
Using the above recipes, you can help the body tune in to sleep. No less important is the psychological attitude. We need to learn to “turn off” the brain from all the worries and concerns of the past day. 2 hours before bedtime, you need to postpone all the problems for tomorrow.
If nothing helps and within 2 weeks of insomnia does not go away, it is necessary to consult a doctor.