- 1 what causes shoulder pain?
- 2 treatment of shoulder pain
- 3 shoulder pain – when to see a doctor?
- 4. conclusion
Shoulder pain in individuals of every age group can suffer and Affected in everyday life limit. Causes for the pain, there are many, for example, disorders of the shoulder, such as shoulder osteoarthritis or calcium deposits in the shoulder. Similarly, acute injuries to the shoulder as the trigger of the pain are possible. The episode of shoulder pain is often a so-called Impingement syndrome, which describes impairments in joint mobility. Also cause pain in the shoulder not infrequently, to a night of pain, for, as a rule, sudden relaxation States of the Acromion are responsible. In this guide we will go into more detail on the causes and possibilities of treatment at night, pain in the shoulders.
What causes shoulder pain?
Our shoulder consists of a variety of bone, Tendon, and muscle elements. To call a priority here
- the humeral head (Caput humeri),
- the shoulder joint (Articulatio humeri or glenohumeral joint),
- the shoulder joint capsule (Capsula articularis)
- the shoulder roof (acromion),
- the Shoulder bursae (Bursae)
- the shoulder blade (Scapula),
- the shoulder blade glenoid cavity (Cavitas glenoidalis),
as well as the rotator cuff, known muscle -, Tendon-plate. The latter surrounds the shoulder joint and is the stable position of the shoulder, as well as their trouble-free Rotation responsible.
In about 80 % of the cases the cause of shoulder pain is in the shoulder joint itself but in the surrounding shoulder elements. Nevertheless, of course, injuries and diseases of the joint can be the cause of existing pain. Overall, the following can be the causes for a painful shoulder in question:
- mechanical Overload of the rotator cuff
- Irritation of the shoulder joint by operations or accidents
- Inflammation of the joint
Shoulder osteoarthritis: When joint wear and tear in the area of the shoulder, the cartilage layers from the benefit of the joint sensitive. The cartilage are pain-free and smooth movement of the shoulder is essential. Therefore, a substance that leads to shrinkage is almost always to pain shoulder. Reasons for shoulder osteoarthritis and associated pain in the shoulder may present, among other things, these problems:
Calcium deposits in the shoulder: The causes of calcium deposits in the shoulder – a condition that can be as well as shoulder osteoarthritis shoulder pain responsible have not yet been elucidated completely. In the first stage of the disease by the deposition of calcium salts in the rotator cuff, to a calcification of the shoulder. The resulting conversion processes and Ruptures relate to tendons, the tissue of the Shoulder for severe pain.
Bursitis: An inflammation of the Shoulder Bursa in most cases leads to pain shoulder. It is produced primarily by infections, injury, or mechanical Overload of the shoulder (e.g., heavy Lifting). Besides pain, it also brings enormous restrictions to the movement of the affected joint. As a result, the shoulder pain occurs especially with movement.
Lesions and injuries of the shoulder: tensions and dislocations of the shoulder can shoulder pain also cause such as bone fractures, muscle and Tendon tears. Here, combat athletes, strength athletes and people who lift for professional reasons heavy Weights are at an increased risk. In addition, accidents associated with Falls, blows, or bruises, lesions, and injuries of the shoulder painful.
Shoulder pain due to poor posture: muscle tensions, should be mentioned in the end of malposition of the shoulder as a possible cause. They are the result of, for example, due to anatomical misalignment or incorrect posture. As a risk professions activities in a Sitting position such as sewing or Working in front of the Computer. In both cases, affected people tend to have a curved posture. This, in turn, favors a painful tension in the area of the rotation cuff. The shoulder pain go hand in hand here too often with back pain.
Shoulder pain due to disc herniation: When a disc herniation occurs at shoulder height, he makes an electrifying pain in the shoulder is noticeable. This can radiate into the upper arm and the nape of the neck. Will be intensified, the shoulder pain here by sideways movements of the head. A full movement blockade due to the shoulder pain is in herniated discs is also conceivable.
Treatment of shoulder pain
Serious causes of shoulder is to be determined pain from a doctor first, through a survey. One of the main complaints in the case of illness or injury-related pain in the shoulder, the so-called night is a pain. He is the result of the natural relaxation of the shoulder during sleep and an increased gap between the humeral and the acromion is due to at rest. Due to the lack of tensile forces, which are during the day given, relaxes the shoulder tissues, which allows pain stimuli to be more apparent. Also, inflammatory stimuli and injury, spread of course.
In addition to the night of pain, the history should focus on existing pre-existing conditions. These include shoulder osteoarthritis, calcium deposits in the shoulder or possible injury to the rotation cuff. In addition, laboratory tests and image are imaging procedures such as CT, x-ray or MRI, to discover any substance damage in the area of the shoulder. The therapy of shoulder pain can then be as follows:
- Medication for shoulder pain: In case of irreparable joint degeneration, and many other causes for shoulder pain, conservative treatment with the help of drugs is usually necessary. Especially pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory tablets and ointments (e.g., Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, Voltaren, or devil’s claw) are the agents of first choice. The pain is very strong, it can also be an injection of curative agents in the war-torn shoulder tissue or joint.
- Conservation of shoulder: pain in the shoulder requiring immobilization of the affected area. If injuries to heal in the shoulder area quickly, may not be stretched, the joint and surrounding elements are unnecessary. In order to alleviate the night pain during the healing of any diseases you can acquire from the doctor’s special loops. These are placed around the wrist, as well as the feet. An expander cable provides at night then for the necessary pulling action, which mitigated the pain of the shoulder.
- Shoulder dislocation: this treatment is a lifting technique, which is used to Reset a dislocated shoulder. After the Straightening, the shoulder is used primarily with physiotherapy back slowly to the normal load. The pain should be gone after the dislocation and a short resting phase.
- Physiotherapy and heat applications: a lime-shoulder, among other things, physiotherapy, and heat can help applications. Just in the case of chronic shoulder pain Doctors always recommend the appropriate therapies. Also, the freedom of movement of the shoulder can be as a result of such measures significantly improve. Poor posture, leading to shoulder pain, can be corrected by targeted Exercises.
- operational measures to be taken against shoulder pain: Is it an advanced osteoarthritis, which has become the cause is known, can improve, among other things, the operations, the pain. In the case of a OP here, often artificial shoulder joints are used, and the damaged joint is thus replaced. Furthermore, complicated bone fractures or congenital anomalies of the shoulder, the findings require surgical intervention for postural correction.
Shoulder pain – when to see a doctor?
Short-term tension in the shoulder are usually not a reason to see a doctor. Disorders of the rotator cuff or the shoulder joint, caused by shoulder arthritis, calcium deposits in the shoulder and other diseases, must be treated at an early stage. The only way to permanent joint and tissue damage avoided. You seek quick medical attention if…
…Your shoulder pain for a long pause, or increase.
…the shoulder pain always return.
…You complain of a persistent night pain.
…You suspect an accident or collapse behind the pain.
…alongside the pain there are also strong restrictions on movement.
…an emanation of the pain in other areas of the body.
…You notice bruising or swelling to her shoulder.
…the suspicion of a pre-existing condition.
Shoulder pain can be the cause of a harmless Overload. Occasionally, however, they are also signs of a serious shoulder disease, shoulder osteoarthritis, calcium deposits in the shoulder or a rotator cuff injury. The pain should stop, therefore, longer, extreme motion loss, or with side effects such as swelling and bruises go hand-in-hand, is a precautionary doctor’s visit is urgently advisable. Otherwise, without appropriate treatment, permanent damage to the shoulder may arise. During the therapy, it is especially important to protect the shoulder, to minimize tissue irritation, and to speed up the healing process.