According to doctors, snoring in a child or an adult occurs due to difficulty breathing through the nasal passages due to a mechanical obstruction. During sleep, relaxation of all muscles, including the palatines, is observed. The palate is a septum that prevents the ingested food from entering the respiratory organs. When the palatine muscles relax, it begins to vibrate and make a sound.
The cause of snoring in a child in a dream can be various pathological conditions. Such a phenomenon may be temporary, rarely permanent.
How to distinguish it from wheeze or sniff? It happens that snoring in a child is caused by a disease or some external factors. Before you go to the doctor, you just need to watch the baby and his breathing in a dream to understand the etiology.
The reasons for children’s snoring in a dream can be the following factors:
- ENT diseases;
- indoor air (microclimate);
- the presence of adenoids in the nasal cavity;
- the presence of the wrong bite;
- snoring in infants because of the accumulation of mucus in the nasopharynx.
You need to be able to distinguish when children’s snoring is not dangerous or, conversely, requires urgent treatment. For this it is necessary to consider every possible reason separately.
The phenomenon is dangerous in that it can cause respiratory failure (apnea syndrome), which lasts more than 10 seconds and repeats every two minutes.
Snoring in case of sore throat or after a previous illness is caused by the persistence of laryngeal edema. Such a phenomenon is not dangerous, it can occur with a cold or with a cold and occur as a result of any respiratory disease. Especially there is a strong snoring in the sleep with rhinitis due to nasal congestion. Children’s snoring in such cases will pass with time, it is necessary to cure the underlying disease.
When a baby does not breathe through its nose, day or night, then there is a chance of having adenoids. They arise through the proliferation of lymphoid tissue, resulting in a strong increase in the tonsils. Sometimes this pathology does not respond to treatment, often they are removed by surgery.
With regular occurrence, it is necessary to begin with an examination of the baby by an ENT specialist. The cause of snoring in a child can be not only adenoids or a runny nose, it also appears when:
- curvature of the nasal septum;
- the formation of polyps in the nasal cavity;
- the presence of a foreign object in the nasal passages;
- incipient bronchial asthma;
When laryngitis at night can occur not only snoring, but also stenosis of the larynx. Such manifestations lead to the development of respiratory failure. If urgent measures are not taken, the consequences may be irreversible. In this case, children are shown to breathe inhalation using a nebulizer. But all solutions for inhalation should be selected by a doctor.
Children’s snoring caused by diseases of the upper respiratory tract, is treated with:
- Washing the nose with saline solutions. The finished solution can be purchased at the pharmacy or make yourself at home. It is necessary to dissolve a small spoonful of ordinary salt in a glass of boiled cooled water. Ready solution is recommended to bury 3-4 drops in each nasal passage three times a day. After rinsing, vasoconstrictor preparations can be instilled to eliminate congestion.
- Irrigation of tonsils with antiseptic solutions. Such funds destroy pathogens, relieve inflammation and swelling of the tonsils.
- Antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory drugs. By doctor’s prescription, you can take them inside.
- Aromatic patches. They not only facilitate the condition, effectively cope with nasal congestion, but are also absolutely safe to use. They do no harm to the children’s organism. As doctor Komarovsky advises, it is good to use such medical patches after a year. But he does not recommend their use to babies. It is enough to glue the plaster to the clothes of the baby or somewhere nearby, for example, on the back of the crib.
It is important to carry out timely treatment and prevent the development of various complications.
If a child in 2-3 years suddenly began to snore in a dream, then it is necessary to analyze the conditions in which he sleeps. Dry and dusty air can cause the nasal mucosa to dry out. The body produces such a reaction for protection and prevents various harmful microorganisms from getting inside. In this case, the mechanical barrier to natural breathing puts dry mucus.
To eliminate the phenomenon caused by dryness and dust in the air, it is necessary:
- Daily carry out wet cleaning.
- Air several times a day for air access.
- Install a humidifier to maintain the necessary humidity in the bedroom.
- Monitor the air temperature. It should not exceed 20 degrees.
- Bleach the baby with saline to moisten the nasal mucosa.
- Give plenty of drink.
Tip: The room where the baby sleeps is not recommended to be carpeted and laid with soft toys. They are “dust collectors” that cause night snoring in a child.
In the presence of adenoids in a child, snoring is unavoidable. It is these pathological growths that are more common in children from 2 years of age. In the presence of adenoids, they often suffer from viral diseases, regular inflammatory processes localized in the upper respiratory tract. This pathology interferes with the protective function of the body, prevents healthy sleep.
There are three stages of the growth of adenoids:
- The initial stage is characterized by sudden night snoring. Often parents do not attach importance to this phenomenon, because the child has a cold, and he cannot breathe through his nose because of a cold. If the baby snores after the therapy, it means an increase in the tonsils.
- The second stage is due to a significant increase in adenoids, which leads to nasal congestion, constant snoring. The child is breathing through the mouth day and night. The mucous membrane of the oropharynx dries out, loses the ability to prevent viruses and microbes from entering the body. The kid is sick more often, he is already worried not only by snoring at a sore throat, but tonsillitis, rhinitis, pharyngitis can develop.
- The third stage requires immediate treatment. Lymphoid tissue grows, completely covers the nasal passages. The child not only suffers from air obstruction through the nose, but also develops hearing loss.
This disease with minor growths of lymphoid tissue is eliminated with the help of drug therapy. The indications for surgical intervention is the anxiety of the baby during sleep due to the obstruction of air through the nasal passages. After the operation to remove the adenoids in a child, the phenomenon disappears, the state of health improves significantly.
With obesity increases the load on the entire body of the baby. Suffering cardiovascular system, respiratory organs. Fat deposition narrows the passages of the upper respiratory tract, causes snoring in children during sleep.
To cure the pathology caused by obesity, parents need to:
- reduce the amount of food consumed;
- put the child on a diet;
- take the kid in any sport;
- to captivate a child with active games.
To reduce excess weight and develop a balanced diet, it is recommended to consult a dietitian.
It is important to know that obesity in children can be observed due to the development of diabetes. This is a serious disease that causes not only snoring during sleep in a child, but also becomes the cause of the development of severe pathologies, including death. Therefore, parents need to monitor the weight of their offspring, in any case do not need to overfeed him.
Insufficient development, the displacement of the lower jaw back can cause the occurrence of pathology in the baby. During the horizontal position, the uvula concerns the root of the tongue, interferes with the passage of air. This contributes to the appearance of characteristic sounds due to the narrowing of the airway lumen and the vibration of the tongue.
To eliminate the cause, you must contact your orthopedic dentist. He uses different methods for the correction of bite, which are classified for children up to three years old and adolescents over 12 years old.
A dentist should be contacted when a child is found:
- involuntary extension of the lower jaw;
- mouth breathing;
- large distance between teeth;
- overhang of the upper jaw;
- problem with speech
The sooner you go to a doctor, the sooner he will eliminate the true cause of snoring.
Snoring in infants
Many parents go to the doctor with complaints that their baby is snoring. Do not confuse this phenomenon with a newborn with wheezing. Usually babies have a physiological feature – this is a narrow nasal passage. Such sniffing is not considered a pathology.
But still you should watch the baby. Sleep has two stages – superficial and deep. Usually they should alternate, but because of snoring, this harmony can be broken, which affects the health of the baby. He becomes moody, aggressive, tired.
Snoring during teething is accompanied by the accumulation of mucus in the parts of the nose in an infant. Treatment in this case is not required. Teething syndrome is not a disease.
To facilitate breathing, it is enough to humidify regularly the air, to instil saline solutions into the nose, to suck mucus from the nasal passages of the newborn with an aspirator.
There are cases when the phenomenon is caused by various congenital pathologies.
- incorrect structure of the nasopharynx;
- curvature of the intranasal septum;
- narrow nasal passages;
- relatively small lower jaw.
These congenital pathologies require surgical intervention.
Other causes of the phenomenon:
- rolandic epilepsy;
- allergic reaction;
- enlargement of the thymus gland.
Pathology is found from the age of two and manifests itself during sleep. Cramps cover only one side of the face, they affect the tongue, pharynx, lead to increased salivation. Saliva, getting into the upper respiratory tract, prevents the passage of air, becomes the cause of the pathology. Spasmodic syndrome occurs during sleep, lasts a maximum of three minutes. Parents rarely notice these signs.
Rolandic epilepsy disappears as it gets older, but pathology requires medical supervision.
Children at risk are exposed to allergic reactions. In this case, inflammation of the mucous membranes of the nasopharynx is caused not by pathological microorganisms, but by various allergens.
Intolerance in them can occur on:
- plant pollen;
- food products;
- household dust;
In fact, allergies can occur on anything. An intolerance reaction is manifested in the form of skin rashes, swelling of the nasopharyngeal mucosa, and difficulty in breathing.
Urgent measures should be taken to eliminate the symptoms of allergies. First of all, it is necessary to exclude the contact of the child with the allergen, give an antihistamine. In severe cases, urgently deliver the child to the nearest medical facility.
After stopping the signs of an allergic reaction, nasal breathing is restored, snoring disappears.
Enlarged thymus gland
This organ of the endocrine system is directly related to the processes of formation of immunity and the growth of the child. With an increase in the thymus gland is observed compression of the nerve endings, large vessels. This leads to difficulty breathing when breathing.
When there is cause for concern
Snoring a child that occurs at times is not dangerous. But when the baby snores regularly, experiencing discomfort while still not getting enough sleep, it is necessary to show it to the doctor. Indeed, during such a state, he may develop apnea syndrome and cause oxygen starvation of all organs.
Signs of apnea can be suspected if the baby:
- irritable, aggressive, capricious;
- suffers from headache;
- complains of fatigue;
- sleeps badly, wakes up often, sees nightmares in a dream;
- lags behind peers in growth and development.
Often, the child has a violation of attention, which is reflected in his behavior. He suffers from nocturnal enuresis. If such symptoms are detected, parents are obliged to consult a doctor as soon as possible.
“Sleep apnea, according to statistics, develops in 3% of children who suffer from night snoring. This phenomenon can be deadly, it can not be ignored.
The child should be monitored not only during sleep, but throughout the day, in order to understand what caused this condition. Maybe during snoring, he coughs and causes a cold. Very often, this phenomenon may occur due to infection after an illness.
Sometimes parents may not understand the true cause of the pathology, so it is recommended to consult a doctor. That specialist will be able to determine the etiology of this phenomenon, tell you how to treat the pathology.
How to stop snoring
Snoring, which is not a consequence of viral diseases and various pathologies, can be eliminated by some recommendations:
- It is necessary to give the child during sleep the most natural position. It is desirable to choose a mattress orthopedic, to choose a pillow moderately high.
- Lay the child so that he falls asleep on his side. When children sleep on their backs, snoring appears more often.
- Daily should be carried out wet cleaning, air the room.
- To instill saline solutions in the child’s nose to moisten the mucous membrane in order to prevent overdrying.
There are medications that can eliminate snoring in a child. It may be:
- Snoreks, which consists of natural ingredients and does not cause any harm to the body. After use, the drug acts instantly. Its uniqueness lies in the fact that it eliminates the signs of snoring, at the same time affects the cause of its occurrence.
- MesleepGood is a certified agent that has a tonic and stabilizing property. Due to these qualities, after its use, snoring does not interfere with the baby throughout the night. The tool consists of natural substances, safely acts on the body.
- The tool Antihrap, which effectively copes with snoring caused by the narrowing of the nasal passages. It is not a medicine, but refers to silicone reflexotherapeutic agents. Antihrap positively affects the reflex centers of the nasopharynx. There are restrictions on use, it is contraindicated to apply to children under 2 years. To completely eliminate snoring during sleep, it should be worn for two weeks.
Any remedy used to eliminate snoring in a baby should be discussed with a pediatrician. Independent selection of drugs can lead to unpredictable results.
According to doctors, it is better to carry out measures to prevent the disease, rather than engage in its treatment.
Snoring prevention includes:
- improving immunity by hardening, daily walks in the fresh air;
- balanced diet;
- humidifying the air in the baby’s room;
- moderate exercise;
- selection of a comfortable bed;
- wearing the right clothes from breathable materials.
- timely treatment of viral diseases.
If all the preventive requirements are met, the child will be healthy, no snoring will prevent him from a good sleep.
Snoring is not only manifested by difficulty breathing, it is reflected in the general condition of the child after waking up. He looks weak, his concentration is disturbed, development slows down.
It is very important to establish the cause of children’s snoring and proceed with the treatment of the underlying disease. There is no need to allow the transition of the disease to the chronic form, it is more difficult to treat. Preventive measures that are an integral part for the full life of the baby are welcome.