Insomnia is a painful condition of the body, which brings a lot of discomfort to the person. The lack of proper rest has a negative effect on the physical and emotional state. Insomnia before menstruation is often observed, when a woman has premenstrual syndrome. This period is accompanied by lower abdominal pain, increased irritability, and frequent mood changes. Sleep disorders aggravate the already serious condition.
Causes of insomnia before menstruation
The main danger of insomnia in premenstrual syndrome is that the body loses its strength and does not replenish energy reserves. Lack of sleep reduces the ability to work, worsens the emotional background.
Before starting treatment, it is necessary to understand the causes of insomnia before menstruation:
- drinking coffee, alcohol, smoking;
- taking certain medications;
- lack of comfort: stale air, noise, uncomfortable bed or pillow;
- diseases: pathologies of the digestive tract, thyroid gland, Parkinson’s disease, asthma, allergic reaction.
The main factors that provoke insomnia during menstruation are considered nervousness and irritability. Depression, mental, physical overload, anxiety – all this adversely affects the functioning of the nervous system, deprives a woman of the ability to easily fall asleep and fully relax.
Before the onset of critical days, hormonal alteration of the organism occurs, which affects the state of health, mood, and also appearance. Healthy patients also have difficulty falling asleep. Doctors consider the occurrence of insomnia a week before menstruation as a typical phenomenon. In some cases, it is accompanied by delayed menstruation.
Read also … What to do if tortured insomnia during menopause
Methods for restoring full sleep
To improve your condition, you will need to change your lifestyle or take special medications. For each patient, an individual technique is selected, which is prescribed by a specialist.
If insomnia suffers before the menstrual cycle, it is not necessary to immediately decide on cardinal measures and take sleeping pills. Pronounced improvement can be achieved if you devote more time to your own health and lifestyle. To do this, simply follow the following recommendations:
- A few days before the onset of PMS, you need to abandon products that contain caffeine or alcohol. It is better to replace them with tea with mint or chamomile. To speed up sleep, you can drink warmed milk with natural honey at night.
- Food with a high content of calories and fat should be replaced with dietary dishes, replenish the menu with fresh fruits and vegetables, give up chocolate, especially on the eve of a night’s rest. Doctors advise every day to eat dried apricots, prunes, persimmon. Changing the balance of vitamins in a positive way will bring significant benefits to the entire female body.
- Hiking in the park, sports training well relieve nervous tension. Quickly calm down helps bath with a decoction of pine needles.
- Essential oils with a calming effect are highly effective. The most popular is the ether of lavender. It is enough to drop a few drops on a handkerchief and place it next to the pillow. Oils can be used in a special aroma lamp.
- Before going to bed, the bedroom must be aired. Fall asleep every day at the same time, not staying up late.
- Vitamin complexes, which fill the lack of substances during menstruation, will help normalize sleep. During this period, vitamins C, B6, calcium, magnesium, and iron are especially important. You should first consult with your doctor.
- It is necessary to prevent conflicts and stressful situations that excite the nervous system.
- To give preference to an active lifestyle, to devote time to moderate physical exertion, at least 2-3 times a week.
These recommendations will help eliminate many of the causes of insomnia, which occurs every month.
If critical days are accompanied by severe symptoms, problems with falling asleep, you should visit a specialist. Gynecologists, neuropathologists and somnologists – doctors who specialize in the treatment of various sleep disorders – are engaged in treating such diseases. For the treatment of insomnia that develops during menstruation, the following medications are used:
- Antidepressants, sedatives, tranquilizers. These funds have a strong effect, are used to treat mental and neurological disorders. They help with PMS. Reception is allowed only under the supervision of the attending physician, the dosage is calculated individually.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs without steroids. Helps to cope with migraines, headaches, are suitable for preventive measures.
- Diuretics. Remove excess fluid from the body. Such drugs are prescribed quite rarely, because they lead to a lack of essential vitamins and minerals.
- Hormonal agents. Used to relieve a serious condition due to an imbalance of progesterone. The introduction of female sex hormones is carried out artificially.
You should not choose drugs yourself and do self-medication, as this may mean worsening of your health.
We must not forget that the causes of insomnia, which are often associated with PMS, in some cases may indicate the progression of serious diseases. If negative signs appear, you should immediately visit a doctor, which will help prevent the development of serious pathologies.