Insomnia can torture an alcoholic after a binge due to disturbances in the central nervous system caused by intoxication of the body. Unhealthy psycho-emotional state of the patient contributes to sleep disorders.
Why after binge insomnia occurs
To understand why, after a long bout, insomnia occurs, it is necessary to determine which factors cause disturbances in the central nervous system. Systematic use of alcohol causes persistent abnormalities in the work of the vascular and nervous systems of the body, develops a condition called “alcohol insomnia.”
Read also … Is there any insomnia when quitting smoking and is it possible to mitigate its manifestations
In medicine, there are 3 stages of this disorder:
- The first is that the patient may fall asleep without taking alcohol, but his sleep will not be sound.
- The second – falling asleep occurs only after drinking strong drinks.
- The third is the onset of absolute insomnia. The patient has a short-term sleep, which may be accompanied by hallucinations, uncontrolled passage of urine, disorders of the vestibular apparatus.
Insomnia after alcohol has such reasons:
- heart rate increases;
- sleep becomes superficial, which can provoke frequent awakenings;
- dreams are absent;
- sleep phases cease to follow each other in due order.
When alcohol is consumed at night, the deep phase of sleep is delayed due to depression of the nervous system, and the superficial phase is disturbed or does not occur at all.
Sleep after taking a large number of spirits has the following features:
- Falling asleep is faster on average for 4-16 minutes.
- A person plunges into a deep phase faster for 8 minutes, but at the same time his heart rate increases per minute by 9 beats. At the same time, the nervous system continues to function actively, and not to rest.
- The longer a drunk person sleeps, the faster his heart rate accelerates. In the second hour of rest, he is more often at 13 beats per minute.
- The phase of active sleep does not occur after 3 hours, as alcohol in the blood prevents this.
- There is a high probability of early waking up at the 5th or 6th hour of rest. Heart rate while speeded up.
- After 8 hours, the person wakes up broken and with a headache. Even with a great desire to continue to sleep, he can not do it.
At first, drinking strong drinks makes it easy to fall asleep and relax, which is misleading and makes you addicted to alcohol. However, after a week, and sometimes after 3 days of regular use, the body produces resistance to ethanol. Therefore, instead of drowsiness and a state of relaxation, alcohol over-stimulation occurs, followed by insomnia.
The impact of chronic alcoholism on human sleep
With constant use of alcohol changes become more pronounced: in addition to chronic intoxication of the body, the REM phase is critically reduced, leading to the appearance of hallucinations and delirium. The use of ethanol for a long time leads to the following consequences:
- a sharp reduction in the paradoxical phase;
- an increase in the slow phase;
- decrease in the total duration of sleep;
- the difficulty of falling asleep.
Insomnia, anxiety and anxiety, which arise from binge drinking, may be accompanied by tremor (trembling fingers), and in an advanced stage, and cramps. Drinkers are at risk of dying from respiratory arrest in sleep, since ethanol causes relaxation of the upper respiratory tract and nasopharyngeal muscles. Doctors recommend not to drink spirits for 4-6 hours before bedtime, then insomnia after alcohol will not become an acute problem.
Varieties of alcohol insomnia
Drug abuse knows several types of sleep disorders caused by alcohol. The impact of toxins on the body provokes characteristic disorders:
- Difficulty getting to sleep. After drinking alcohol, most people cannot fall asleep and experience physical discomfort. It is manifested by pain in the muscles, acceleration of the heart rate, increased blood pressure and anxiety.
- Frequent awakenings – keen sleep and high irritability exacerbate feelings. In addition, frequent urination due to the adoption of strong drinks cause unforeseen awakenings.
- Absolute insomnia manifested by the development of mental disorders. Such a person loses emotional balance due to nervous breakdown and various hallucinations.
The last type of sleep disorder occurs with alcohol syndrome, a hangover brings some relief. This condition is also called withdrawal syndrome and may develop if you give up alcohol consumption or a sharp decrease in its amount. Such a person has various disorders of somatic, mental and neurological nature.
Insomnia in alcoholism can be complicated by the appearance of pain in the joints and other pains of nervous origin. The main cause of these symptoms is the harmful effects of alcohol on all organs and systems of the body. A big mistake in this situation is the attempt of self-treatment. This can lead to aggravation of the condition and unpredictable consequences.
Many people who drink are wondering why insomnia and other unpleasant symptoms hurt from a hangover. The main reason for this phenomenon is the overexcited state of the entire nervous system, including the region responsible for normal sleep.
Doctors note that drunken alcoholics are in a tense and anxious state continuously. This is due to a complex of reasons: physical and mental illness, psychological discomfort. At the same time, manifestations of hangover syndrome interfere with normal sleep:
- heaviness in the liver;
- burning in the stomach and esophagus;
- sudden drops in blood pressure.
Insomnia against the background of alcoholism tends to progress, and it becomes more difficult to fight it every day. Not always taking absorbents and antihypertensive drugs solves the problem. Gastric lavage with soda does not bring positive results in all cases.
Types of insomnia
The medical term “insomnia” means a sleep disorder. There are more than 11 varieties of this condition, but only 5 of them are caused by passion for strong drinks:
- Insomnia. Characterized by awakenings at night, shallow sleep and difficulty in falling asleep. A person is not able to fully relax, feels nervous tension, pain in the head and joints, panic.
- Idiopathic insomnia has a chronic course and, after giving up alcohol, gradually passes.
- Psychological insomnia. The causes of this condition lie in mental disorders. With excessive use of alcohol a person cannot fall asleep.
- Sensitive sleep, accompanied by nightmares, is characteristic of the period of leaving the binge. Awakening occurs several times during the night, and in the morning a person is tormented by fatigue and irritation from everything that surrounds him.
- Absolute insomnia is characteristic of long drinking bouts. Hallucinations and delusions exacerbate a condition that is life-threatening to the patient. Eliminate this pathology can only refusal from alcohol for a long time.
To avoid negative consequences and unpredictable complications, the treatment of alcoholism and its consequences should be started immediately. Otherwise, the condition will rapidly deteriorate, and attempts at self-treatment can lead to tragic consequences.
Sleep recovery after binge
Before you treat alcohol insomnia drugs, you should try alternative methods of restoring the normal state. The basic principles to be followed in order to improve your well-being after alcohol poisoning are:
- Drink plenty of water. It is recommended to drink 3-4 liters of fluid in the first day. Mineral water, juice, kefir and sour compote are best suited for this purpose.
- Acceptance of activated carbon at the rate of 1 tablet per 10 kg of weight. Tendency to constipation is an absolute contraindication to the use of this method, because activated charcoal has a strengthening effect on the intestines.
- Special cleansing enemas are able to restore the normal functioning of the intestines, which improves sleep.
- Moderate physical activity in combination with water procedures (a contrast shower) contributes to a better sleep due to mild fatigue.
- In case of severe pain syndrome, it will not be possible to do without taking painkillers. With the ineffectiveness of drug therapy treatment to the doctor necessarily.
It is important to strictly follow all the recommendations of the doctor to achieve the maximum effect in a short time. The main and obligatory for all principle is the waiver of alcohol. If binges are repeated regularly and become chronic, then there is a need for individual medical therapy for a long time.
In case of alcoholism, insomnia, depending on the nature of the violation, should be adjusted in accordance with the results of the patient’s examination and the presence of concomitant chronic diseases. It is difficult for a person without medical education to make the right decision about how to treat the consequences of hard drinking. In this case, you should trust the professionalism of the narcologist.
Drugs for regulating sleep after binge
Treatment of the consequences of binge should be carried out under medical supervision, especially if the abuse of spirits occurred for a long time. If the intake of alcohol lasted more than 2 days, then an independent intake of medications may be a threat to the life and health of the patient.
The danger is uncontrolled intake of drugs on a plant basis. When alcoholism is prescribed a special therapy and treatment in which insomnia gradually passes. It is important to exercise willpower and observe all regulations exactly.
A narcologist will explain how to cope with insomnia after binge drinking and suggest medications with minimal side effects. The main groups of such drugs are:
- Sedatives – help quickly calm down and sleep. These include: Donormil, Diphenhydramine and Alzolam. When taking them are frequent side effects. These drugs can be replaced by safer, but less effective analogues: valerian, Novo-Passit, Glycine, Mexidol, Grandaxin.
- Medicines containing phenobarbital. This group includes: Korvaldin, Corvalol, Validol, Valocordin, Barboval. When taking it is important to be careful, because the drugs can cause malfunction of the nervous system and cause coma in exceptional cases.
- Afobazole has a delayed action (the effect occurs only on the 4th day). It is important to prevent overdose of the drug.
- Phenibut. It will help to cope with sleep disorders and anxiety. When taken in the patient’s blood should not be alcohol, otherwise adverse reactions can not be avoided.
Insomnia after drinking is mainly treated by avoiding alcohol, so the main efforts should be directed at combating a bad habit. It is important to remember that any sleeping pills are addictive, and another problem may develop in the future – it will be difficult to fall asleep without taking the drug. In addition to the restoration of physical health, it is important to pay attention to blocking the irreversible processes in the body and stopping the degradation of a person’s personality.
To maintain the liver, it is important to carry out the procedure of detoxifying the body with the help of intravenous infusions of medicinal solutions. Due to this, the disturbed metabolism is restored faster, which stimulates the work of the internal organs. As a result, the effects of a hangover are faster, and the person comes to working condition.
Treatment of folk remedies
Most alcohol addicts know what to do if they have insomnia after binge drinking — use folk remedies. However, the effect of such activities can be expected only if alcohol intake lasted no more than 3 days. Prolonged intoxication causes irreversible changes in the brain, which requires the use of medical drugs.
Home treatment for insomnia with alcoholism is the use of decoctions and herbal infusions. All components of the fees can be purchased at the pharmacy and prepare their own medicine. To plants that have a sedative effect, include:
- martin root;
- St. John’s wort;
The use of herbal teas can improve the condition without dangerous side effects, and therefore it is preferable to taking synthetic drugs. The only possible restriction to the use of this method is an allergy to the vegetable components of the fees.
The herbal tea, made from equal proportions of motherwort, lemon balm and mint, has a pronounced soothing effect:
- At 1 liter of boiling water take 3 tbsp. l collection and brew, the mixture is brought to a boil, removed from heat and insist, covered with a lid.
- Accept within a day with a three-hour intervals of 2 cups of infusion.
Peony evading (the second name – marin root) effectively relieves alcohol intoxication. He is able to eliminate such unpleasant symptoms:
- nervous excitement.
A glass of boiling water poured 1 tbsp. l roots and insist a quarter of an hour. Infusion is taken without adding honey or sugar, otherwise the expected effect will not be.
To facilitate the process of going to bed, it is advisable to use aromatic pillows with various herbs. They soothe and relax the patient. Facilitates falling asleep reception for 20 minutes before sleeping warm milk with honey.
The effects of insomnia on the body
Insomnia from a hangover causes not only chronic fatigue, but can also provoke suicide attempts. This is due to the fact that in the conditions of a prolonged lack of normal rest, anxious thoughts and a sense of hopelessness begin to haunt. In the complex, this can cause suicidal feelings.
The Institute of Brain Research found that pathological changes in the brain are associated with sleep disorders. Experiments have shown that insomnia and changes in the rest regimen lead to a deterioration in cognitive and emotional function, a decrease in coordination, attention and memory.
Such changes make it impossible for a person to live a full life and cause nervousness and irritability. For this reason, it is important to start treatment at the very beginning and avoid persistent pathological changes in the body.