Exercises for deep relaxation and falling asleep for insomnia and other sleep disorders
- 1 The benefits of breathing exercises before bedtime
- 2 Japanese breathing technique
- 3 Autotraining for fast immersion in sleep
- 4 Mantras
- 5 Facial gymnastics for sleep
- 6 Qigong for insomnia before bedtime
The benefits of breathing exercises before bedtime
Treatment of sleep disorders with drugs gives results, but it has adverse effects in the form of side effects on the body. Respiratory gymnastics for insomnia helps to avoid consequences and bring sleep to normal.
During proper breathing, the chest, diaphragm and abdominals are involved. This process allows you to saturate the cells with a large amount of oxygen, and carbon dioxide is removed from the body. Also, there is a water exchange and thermoregulation.
Thus, the body begins to work more smoothly, which helps to fall asleep faster. Respiratory gymnastics is effective in the fight against insomnia, if performed before bedtime.
Respiratory exercises promote:
- activation of blood circulation, training of vessels;
- calm the nervous system;
- protection from daytime problems, brain concentration in the process of respiration;
- muscle relaxation;
- improve the functioning of internal organs.
Japanese breathing technique
The most common exercises can be called 4-7-8 technique for falling asleep, calming breathing and soothing full breathing.
The basic rules of breathing exercises:
- Perform exercises should be in a pre-ventilated room.
- Attention is focused on the exercises, it is important to relax and drive off unnecessary thoughts, calm music helps in this.
- For classes it is better to wear comfortable clothes made of natural fabrics.
- Being able to stay alone helps to increase the effectiveness of the exercises.
- Breathing is performed through the nose, exhalation exceeds the duration of inhalation.
- As with any training, breathing exercises require a gradual increase in pace, because the appearance of dizziness with unaccustomed possible.
During a cold, exercise should be postponed, other diseases associated with the lungs, require medical advice.
Exercise 1 – “Harmonious full breath”
First, choose the correct position of the body – standing with a straightened back. Properly start this exercise with exhalation. Then the belly bulges, and the diaphragm is lowered and gives access to the lungs. A deep breath first fills the lower part of the lungs with air, then the rest of the space fills, which is accompanied by movement of the ribs. With the final filling of the lungs, the shoulders and collarbone rise.
The basic rule for doing the exercise is slow inhalation (it should be silent) and exhalation. When exhaling, the lower part of the lungs is released first, then the middle and upper ones. Excessively fast exercise may cause dizziness.
Over time, the number of approaches should be increased to 10-15 times. By becoming a habit, such gymnastics brings instant relaxation, which helps in the fight against insomnia.
Exercise 2 – “Calming lower breath”
The secret of the calming effect of this exercise lies in the fact that during inhalation all the processes in the body are activated, while exhaling, the body calms down. Ensure the rest of the nervous system, focusing more attention on the exhale.
To begin the exercise should be equal to the duration of inhalation, pause and exhalation. Then each time the length of exhalation should increase, and the pause should be reduced. This breathing technique relieves stress, so it becomes easier for a calmer body to fall asleep.
Respiratory gymnastics on the technique of “4-7-8”
The eastern breathing technique 4-7-8 is effective for falling asleep. To perform the exercise you need to take a comfortable posture (preferably sitting, but you can do it and lying in bed).
Stages of implementation:
- exhale the contents of the lungs with a whistling sound;
- inhale with the nose, counting up to 4;
- pause for 7 accounts;
- exhale with a whistling sound, counting to 8;
- repeat the action several times.
Breathing according to the “4-7-8” technique promotes falling asleep, since the nervous system calms down in the process, and all the cells of the body are saturated with oxygen.
Autotraining for fast immersion in sleep
Auto-training for falling asleep is based on learning to go to sleep by creating self-hypnosis formulas and special rituals.
- airing the bedroom before bedtime;
- cold and hot shower;
- an evening walk;
- comfortable bed and spacious clothes.
It is necessary to prepare phrases that, when speaking, will calm and prepare for a healthy sleep.
- “I am relaxed. My muscles are relaxed. I feel comfortable and light. ”
- “The heart beats smoothly.”
- “I feel how heavy my legs and arms are.”
- “I plunge into a warm, calm, motionless state.”
- “I feel comfort from the heat spreading through the body.”
- “I fall into a dream.”
Phrases for self-hypnosis you can invent yourself. It is important to use short affirmative sentences, paying attention to each part of your body. Such autogenic training with regular use helps to form the correct habit of healthy sleep.
Mantras are sacred spells used in Hinduism. They are used as one of the methods of fast falling asleep.
Thinking about how to speed up falling asleep, you should pay attention to the opportunity to listen to them before bedtime. Reading out loud is not suitable for everyone, because reading each sound is required with the correct intonation, and you will not be able to fall asleep in the process. You need to establish for yourself a sufficient number of repetitions of the record, which is enough to fall asleep.
Read also … Simple techniques of relaxing meditation for insomnia available to everyone.
Mantra for insomnia relaxes the body and spirit. Some examples of these short spells:
- om agasti shainah;
- ri a hum;
- om sushupti om.
There are other options. Soothing mantras have a different effect on falling asleep. Some are aimed at fighting exclusively with insomnia, others improve dreams, some adjust to sleep, restoring strength. Choose based on your needs.
Facial gymnastics for sleep
Facial gymnastics in the fight against insomnia contributes to a better sleep. There are 3 main exercises:
- Massage the area next to the wings of the nose (move away from them to the side the width of a finger).
- Massage the temples in a circular motion (using the middle and index fingers).
- Massage points between the eye and eyebrow (a few smooth taps).
You can perform exercises just before bedtime, lying in bed. Combining facial gymnastics with the technique of falling asleep “4-7-8”, you can enhance the effect of the fight against insomnia.
Qigong for insomnia before bedtime
Qigong literally from Chinese is translated as “work with energy”. This ancient art contributes to the maintenance of physical and mental health, also helps to cope with insomnia.
Insomnia often appears due to chronic fatigue, an effective method of dealing with it is qigong. You can start with a massage for each part of the body:
- Head massage. The face is washed with heated palms, then a point between the eyebrows is massaged 30 times with the index finger of each hand, the same actions are performed with the temples.
- Neck massage The index fingers are massaged by the points behind the lobes of the ears, then the muscles of the neck and shoulder area are gently kneaded.
- Massage the ears. The ears themselves are massaged with two fingers from top to bottom over the auricle, then the earlobe is massaged with circular movements.
- Massage the abdomen. Lying on your back and bending your legs, your belly is massaged first clockwise, then in the opposite direction.
- Foot massage. The right foot is rubbed with the palm of the left hand and vice versa. It is recommended to pre-steam the feet in a soothing bath.
This Chinese technique helps to get rid of stress and tension.
Having learned to relax, you can regain a healthy sleep, and with it the usual rhythm of life.