How to treat neurosis at home: the rules of self-therapy
- 1 Features of the treatment of neurosis
- 2 Psychotherapy
- 3 Drug therapy
- 4 Home treatment
- 5 Folk remedies
- 6 Conclusion
Since the main causes of neurotic disorders are functional disorders of brain activity, therapy combines drug methods with effects on the patient’s mind. Good results are also given by the use of folk remedies with the permission of a doctor.
Features of the treatment of neurosis
The disease is characterized, first of all, by polymorphism and psychogenic origin. The etiology of neurosis has not been studied enough, despite numerous studies in this area. Presumably, it occurs as a result of a combination of hereditary predisposition with an external trigger effect. It is often possible to cure a functional disorder after eliminating the irritating factor without the use of medications.
The effectiveness of therapy depends on the stage of the pathology. Acute neurosis is amenable to complex treatment, and if medical assistance is provided in a timely manner, it passes without consequences. However, upon transition to a chronic form, neurotic personality changes become irreversible. This process can take from six months to 2 years, so you need to begin treatment when the first symptoms of neurosis appear.
Read also … What is neurosis of the heart: symptoms, differential diagnosis and treatment
Often patients are interested in how to cure neurosis on their own, without seeking the help of specialists. Here we must take into account that it is possible to recover without going to the doctor, but success depends on various factors, and such cases are very rare.
First of all, the patient must know the exact cause of the disorder. Of particular importance are the features of the structure of a person’s personality, the general condition of his body, and the stage of the disease. In addition, home treatment with folk remedies may be unsafe.
Psychogenic factors play a leading role in the formation and development of neurosis, so the study of the patient’s psyche, the structure of his personality is the primary task of a specialist.
Very often for recovery, it is enough to simply identify and eliminate the trigger – the cause of functional disorder. Accordingly, psychotherapeutic methods form the basis of treatment.
After examination, excluding organic brain damage, somatic heart disease, other internal organs, a medical psychologist or psychotherapist prescribes treatment in accordance with the diagnosis.
Neurosis can be treated using various techniques, including:
- Cognitive training, contributing to the development of thinking, understanding, ability to reason. This method gives the patient an opportunity to realize the causes of the problem, eliminate them, or change their own attitude to the situation. Sometimes the technique can be cured without the use of medicines.
- Psychodynamic therapy – a method of influencing the psyche, based on psychoanalysis. Promotes awareness and resolution of deep-seated contradictions without focusing on external causes. It is used in various neurotic conditions, including phobic disorders, OCD, depressive neurosis.
- Cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy aims to eliminate problems by altering thinking and behavioral responses. During treatment, the patient gets rid of obsessive thoughts, learns fundamentally new behavioral patterns in response to traumatic situations.
- Psychocorrection helps a person socialize, adapt to a changing environment, improve self-esteem. A doctor for this purpose uses such methods as suggestion, imitation, persuasion.
- Art therapy is an effective way to relieve stress, contributing to the establishment of interpersonal contacts, the development of creative abilities, and an increase in self-control. The therapeutic effect is in drawing, music, writing literary works, theatrical performances.
- Training in auto-training and relaxation.
The duration of the course of psychotherapy depends on the severity of the pathology, the individual characteristics of the patient. Sometimes it is possible to get rid of neurosis quickly enough, in some cases long-term treatment is required. Sessions can take the form of conversations, exercises or discussions. Classes are held in individual, group or family format.
The use of oral medications in the treatment of neurosis is of an additional nature, increasing the effectiveness of psychotherapy. Medicines help to remove pathological symptoms, concentrate on working on yourself, consolidate the results achieved.
The choice of a specific drug or combination of drugs depends on the type of neurotic disorder, the severity of the symptoms, and the general health of the patient.
The most widely used group of drugs in the treatment of depressive, anxiety-phobic, neurasthenic types of neuroses. The active ingredients of these drugs contribute to the accumulation of norepinephrine and serotonin in the brain, improve their synaptic transmission. The lack of these neurotransmitters is one of the leading causes of the development of neurotic conditions, along with psycho-traumatic factors.
For therapeutic purposes, monoamine oxidase inhibitors and tricyclic antidepressants are used, which have been used to treat neuroses since the middle of the last century. The most effective imipramine, amitriptyline, clomipramine, as well as their more modern analogues: fluoxetine, paroxetine, sertraline. The course of taking the tablets for a long time, at least six months, and throughout its length requires the control of the attending physician to assess the effectiveness and correction of the dosage.
Anxiolytic or mild tranquilizers are indicated for moderate neurotic disorders. The treatment of neurosis in this case is carried out by drugs like Mebikar.
They reduce the excitability of the hypothalamus, the limbic system and other subcortical areas responsible for emotional reactions. They contribute to the reduction of nervousness and improve sleep, without affecting coordination, reaction rate, concentration of attention.
Anxiolytics-benzodiazepines have a more pronounced psychotropic effect, therefore, are used for deployed neurotic disorders. Such drugs as Diazepam, Clonazepam, Alprazolam effectively suppress anxiety, phobias, relieve emotional stress.
Benzodiazepines, by binding to receptors, have an inhibitory effect on the subcortical structures, but they also have undesirable side effects that must be taken into account. These include: drowsiness, dizziness, incoordination, dependence, and paradoxical reactions.
With neurosis hypochondriacal and hysterical nature of the drugs in this group have a calming effect. Thioridazine, Tiaprid, Sulpiride in small doses reduce psychomotor agitation, weaken the reaction to external stimuli, suppress aggressiveness and fear.
When prescribing, it is necessary to take into account contraindications, the risk of developing adverse body reactions to tablets, as well as the drug compatibility of the active substance.
In addition to taking medications and psychotherapeutic sessions, it is recommended to pay attention to other methods, since it is possible to treat neurosis at home in adults alone.
To cope with the pathology will help:
- Moderate physical activity, cardio. Gymnastics, walking, cycling or swimming perfectly relieve stress, distract from obsessive thoughts, help to eliminate muscle tension. Doing sports should be done regularly, but not allowing overloads, which can aggravate the painful condition.
- Proper nutrition. The diet should correspond to the age, the needs of the body for nutrients, contain an adequate amount of vitamins. Be sure to include in the menu products that promote the synthesis of serotonin and dopamine: fish, poultry meat. Vegetables, bananas, chocolate, honey.
- Breathing exercises. Special practices will help relieve tension, relax, and distract as effectively as psychotherapeutic training or medication.
- Regular warm baths, taken before bedtime, help to overcome neurasthenia, restore the nervous system.
The listed methods and recommendations are an addition to the main therapy, and not its replacement. They act more gently, suitable for the treatment of not only adults but also children.
Another additional method of treating neurotic conditions is the use of alternative medicine recipes. The treatment of neurosis with safe folk remedies, really helping and tested, gives good results in combination with pills and psychotherapy. It is primarily about herbal medicine – the use of decoctions and tinctures of medicinal plants.
The infusion from the following collection has a pronounced sedative effect:
- On 2 parts of three-leaf watch and mint, on one – valerian with hop cones.
- Two tablespoons of the ground mixture are poured into a glass of boiling water, infused for about 20 minutes.
A similar effect on the nervous system has a combination of cumin seeds, valerian rhizomes and chamomile flowers. Raw materials are taken in equal proportions, brewed as the previous collection.
Neurotics with hysterical type of disorder can take a decoction of the roots of the black, to prevent attacks:
- Crushed rhizomes boil for about 20 minutes on low heat, then the agent is infused until it cools and filtered.
- Drink it should be a tablespoon three times a day.
Well helps to get rid of obsessive states, to relieve yourself of stress and a decoction of heather (50 g per 0.5 l of water). After boiling for 10 minutes, it should be drained and drunk as tea with the addition of honey.
If there are disturbing symptoms of neurotic disorder (often worried on minor occasions, you experience unreasonable fears, self-doubt), you should consult a doctor. Specialist assistance is necessary, as it is possible to cope with neurosis on its own in exceptional cases.
Medical consultation is necessary, first of all, for making a diagnosis and identifying the cause of the pathology. Treatment can be either medication (in combination with psychotherapy) or without the use of pills. Additional methods, folk remedies are also necessarily consistent with the therapist.