In atherosclerosis of cerebral vessels, drug therapy is the basis of treatment. But for the normalization of the patient’s body condition and the prevention of complications it is important to adhere to a certain diet. Doctors argue that the effect of negative processes can be reduced by choosing the right diet.
Why does diet help fight atherosclerosis?
Vascular atherosclerosis is a pathological condition of the body, in which deposits form on the walls of blood vessels that adversely affect the functioning of the circulatory system. Plaques, narrowing the vascular lumen, impede the normal circulation of blood, which leads to a lack of oxygen in the organs, nutrients, nutrients.
This process is slow, it is not always possible to identify it in its early stages. In a neglected form, pathology can cause a heart attack, stroke, angina pectoris.
A special diet for this pathology is not the only therapeutic measure, but it allows you to keep the disease under control. In atherosclerosis of the brain and neck, it is important to adhere to a diet developed specifically to prevent the development of complications and prevent the progression of the disease.
Principles of therapeutic nutrition
The principles of dietary nutrition in vascular atherosclerosis are based on a reduction in the intake of “bad” cholesterol – low density lipoproteins. They provoke the formation and growth of plaques on the walls of blood vessels. Reducing cholesterol is achieved by eating foods rich in fat-soluble fiber.
Diet for atherosclerosis of the brain and neck involves adding to the diet sterols of plant origin that do not allow cholesterol to be absorbed into the blood. Sterols are found in vegetable oils, cereals and legumes, nuts. In order to prevent atherosclerosis and reduce the negative effect on cholesterol vessels, it is enough to consume no more than two grams of plant sterols every day.
Principles of nutrition in the diagnosis of atherosclerosis of the brain and neck:
- The diet should contain “good” cholesterol – high-density lipoproteins and foods with a high content of easily digestible vitamins.
- Food is prepared without fat, it is permissible to use vegetable oil, from the first courses (broths and soups) you need to remove the cooled fat.
- Food is steamed or boiled. Fried, smoked dishes, pickles and canned foods are excluded from the diet.
- In the process of cooking the dishes are not salted, salt is added in a small amount to the already prepared food.
- For baking confectionery at home, only the chicken egg protein is taken. Egg yolk is excluded altogether.
- The daily ration should consist of five meals in small portions, which reduces the risk of overeating.
- The diet should be built primarily on protein products – lean meats, cottage cheese, fish, in the amount of not more than 150 grams per day of any of the listed products. Protein-rich foods provide a longer feeling of satiety, the body needs more time and energy to digest them.
Below is a table of permitted, prohibited and permissible products for atherosclerosis.
Tenth diet table
Developed in the 20s of the last century by the physician Pevzner, diet No. 10 remains today one of the best for atherosclerosis. The program is widely used in medical institutions and is included in the list of fifteen tables officially adopted for feeding patients with diseases of various organs.
The diet has general recommendations on nutrition, depending on the characteristics of the course of the disease in a particular patient, it is expanded or limited. For example, with obesity, it is important to reduce the calorie content of meals.
The menu for atherosclerosis of cerebral vessels on the basis of the tenth table suggests six meals a day. Serving the first dishes is reduced to ½ standard servings, bread and sugar are consumed in a minimum amount. The daily rate of salt is 4 grams, while in the process of cooking the dishes are not salted, but salted in the process of use.
Steamed or boiled, fried food is completely excluded from the diet. During the day, drinking water, juices, compotes in the total amount of not more than one liter is shown.
On the basis of the diet table number 10, you can give an example of a lightweight five-day menu for the week for a patient with atherosclerosis of the vessels:
If symptoms of atherosclerosis of the brain and neck are detected, a visit to a doctor is required, who will prescribe medication and give accompanying recommendations. Equally important in therapy is proper nutrition, based on the diet for a specific pathology.
Useful recommendations for atherosclerotic vascular disease:
- Eat more fish and seafood. Fish oil affects the work of the heart muscle, normalizing its rhythm. It is proved that the amount of “bad” cholesterol in the blood is reduced by eating foods that are saturated with calcium. To a lesser extent, but also beneficially reduce cholesterol ions of copper and magnesium, iodine. These trace elements in sufficient quantities in seafood. Especially important is their use in the offseason, when the lack of vitamins and nutrients is more pronounced.
- In the diet you need to add foods rich in potassium: grapes, broccoli, dried fruits, citrus, bananas, milk. Potassium provides normalization of blood pressure, prevents the development of hypertension.
- Apples contain pectin useful for digestion. Pectic substances affect the rapid elimination of cholesterol from the body, and therefore have anti-atherosclerotic effect.
- For salad dressings and cooking, you should choose vegetable oils, excluding animal fat (butter, tallow), it is rarely permissible to fill salads with low-fat sour cream.
- Dietary nutrition in atherosclerosis of the cerebral vessels implies the use of additional vitamin complexes based on yeast with a high content of vitamins A, PP, C and E.
- During the period of treatment, alcohol should be eliminated altogether, it is permissible to drink one or two glasses of dry red wine a week.
- Nicotine and cigarette tar are detrimental to the blood vessels; smoking should be stopped.
These recommendations help to improve the condition of the patient. Compliance with the prescribed diet will allow the body to return to normal and get rid of the symptoms of atherosclerosis of the brain and neck.
Properly selected diet affects the rapid elimination of toxins from the body, provides a slight weight loss. To diet contributed to recovery, it is important to develop its competent, taking into account the nuances of the disease in a particular patient. This can be done by a qualified nutritionist.