Treatment of insomnia folk remedies at home
- 1 Insomnia
- 2 Insomnia Recipes
- 3 Ayurveda
- 4 Hirudotherapy
- 5 Aromatherapy
- 6 Insomnia Pillows
- 7 Conclusion
Most of these products can be prepared and used at home. In each of the recipes, perennial traditions have been implemented, which were improved by medicine men, healers, and philosophers.
Insomnia is a sleep disorder that is characterized by impaired sleep, frequent wakes in the middle of the night, and early recovery. The main causes of insomnia are:
- Nervous excitement that occurs under the influence of stress, anxiety, prolonged intensive intellectual activity, work on gadgets at bedtime.
- Diseases of various origins.
Treatment methods for insomnia depend on the severity of the disorder and the presence of comorbidities. In severe cases, you must consult a doctor. He will recommend drug therapy aimed at combating the underlying disease, and drugs that reduce the symptoms of sleep disorders. More often it is sleeping pills. The doctor will also prompt the treatment with simple and effective folk remedies for insomnia. The therapy is carried out at home and does not require constant visits to the medical institution.
It is important to consider the advice of a physician in the use of folk methods against insomnia, because many natural ingredients have contraindications.
Not only decoctions, teas and tinctures from plants help restore sleep. Receiving funds in raw form, the use of aromatic oils is not less useful.
Long-standing traditional medicine uses dill:
- For insomnia, one tablespoon of dill is taken and infused for 1 hour in one and a half cups boiling water, filtered and taken several times a day for 2 weeks.
- Another way is to put down the seeds of dill (50 g), pour 500 ml of Cahors wine, bring to a boil and cook on low heat for 25 minutes. After boiling the tincture, strain, cool and take 50 ml at bedtime.
Useful properties and pleasant aroma are explained by the essential oils contained in this component. From insomnia it is used during massage, for inhalation, added to aroma lamps. Dill oil mixed with honey can be taken 2 drops three times a day.
Dill is not recommended for use under reduced pressure.
Many are accustomed to taking honey products to raise their immunity and alleviate cold symptoms. Honey from insomnia is not used as often, despite the fact that recipes with this component are very effective:
- One glass of lemon juice mixed with 2 tablespoons of honey, add walnuts and take one tablespoon every day before bedtime.
- A mixture of honey and apple cider vinegar enhances the soothing properties. To prepare, take one glass of honey and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, mix and take 30 minutes before bedtime.
Propolis is an excellent remedy for insomnia. To restore sleep, you can:
- Prepare a 30% tincture and take 20 drops before bedtime and at repeated awakenings at night.
- Mix 10% tincture with honey in a ratio of 1: 9 and take 3 times a day until sleep is normalized.
It should be remembered that propolis can be drunk for no longer than a month, since it depresses the immune system.
For a long time, mothers and grandmothers watered babies with fresh milk for the night. It helped to cope with a cold and calm down. Scientists have proven that warm milk is effective for normalizing sleep. From insomnia help substances contained in it:
- Tryptophan affects the production of serotonin, helps to cope with anxiety, has a calming effect and normalizes sleep. 100 g of milk contains 40 g of tryptophan.
- Proteins, calcium, vitamins of group B together with tryptophan are involved in the production of the hormone melatonin, which regulates the daily rhythm. Milk taken at night with foods rich in carbohydrates causes drowsiness.
- 100-200 ml of warm milk mixed with half a teaspoon of baked butter, take with oatmeal cookies or almond cookies.
- No less useful will be the milk, which added a pinch of spices, such as cardamom or nutmeg.
- Milk with honey for insomnia will help if you drink it at night in the form of heat. On a glass of preheated milk you need to take 15 g of fresh honey, stir and drink 15 minutes before bedtime.
Be careful with taking milk in case of lactose deficiency.
Alarming thoughts and insomnia will go away if you put a pinch of the mixture prepared from 5 g of sea salt, 25 g of brown and 5 g of white unrefined sugar under the tongue. Under the influence of spices is the production of serotonin, which improves mood. Some researchers say that this remedy is especially effective between 2 and 4 in the morning.
A small bag of salt, placed under the pillow at night, will relieve negative thoughts and fix the night’s rest. Every night the salt needs to be changed and the old one thrown away. It is believed that she takes away all diseases and negative.
Fruit and berry recipes
Scientists at Taipei Medical University have found that kiwi fruit contains serotonin and folic acid, which can restore sleep. Receiving 2 fruits before bed for four weeks will help restore sleep.
A half cup of grapefruit juice with pulp a day makes it easier to fall asleep. A glass of water with half a lemon juice, drunk before bedtime, will also undoubtedly help.
Fresh, dried and frozen cherries contain melatonin. A lot of nutrients stored in cherry compote. Doctors advise to eat something light for 1-2 hours before bedtime, and then eat a cherry or drink compote.
However, it is important to use seedless compote, since amygdalin is present in them. With insufficient cooking time, it turns into hydrocyanic acid. An allergy can be an obstacle to the use of these tasty medicines.
Garlic is an old and proven remedy. From insomnia, it will help, if the clot in an unpeeled state is put under a pillow every night. Another traditional remedy is a drink made from garlic, milk and honey. One clove chop, pour into a glass of milk. Boil the mixture, after it has cooled slightly, put a teaspoon of honey into it.
The effect of garlic is based on its properties to relieve stress and anxiety.
An interesting home remedy for insomnia is horse chestnut:
- 45-60 fruits divided into three bags with laces and spread out under different parts of the bed.
- One at the head, the second in the middle, and the third in the legs.
- Every year chestnuts need to be changed, old ones with bad energy accumulated in them to throw out.
Traditional methods of the Indian medicine system link insomnia with increased vata dosha, energy that fills a person with anxiety. From the point of view of Ayurveda, insomnia arises due to chaos in the head, leading to excessive mental activity. In other words, due to excessive stimulation of the nervous system.
Ayurvedic recommendations for dealing with insomnia relate to different aspects of life:
- Nutrition. To reduce anxiety and excessive activity of the nervous system one should eat dairy products, root vegetables and whole grains. An hour before bedtime, they drink warm cow or almond milk with fennel, turmeric, or cardamom. You should avoid raw and dried foods, soft drinks. To reduce the use of coffee, tea and alcohol.
- Atmosphere. The bedroom should be clean and fresh. Furniture items arranged neatly. It should reign pacification.
- At bedtime, one should avoid stimulating activity, it is better to perform several static yoga poses and breathing exercises.
- You need to sleep in clothes made from natural fabrics. It is recommended to sleep on the side of your head to the east or north.
- Get up better at 4: 00-5: 00 in the morning. It is at this time that the nervous system becomes stable.
In order to restore healthy sleep, you need to massage the head and feet with warm sesame oil. If a person decides to massage the whole body, after completing the procedure, you must wait about 10 minutes, take a shower and go to a warm bed.
The leeches are usually placed on the top of the mastoid process behind the ears. This allows you to remove excess rush of blood to the head.
Treatment with leeches is based on the effectiveness of the secreted salivary gland secretions in human blood and sucking it out. At the end of the procedure, they themselves disappear from the bite site. The session lasts about an hour. The course is designed for 10 procedures. Leeches affect the entire body and do not have side effects.
An effective way to reduce stress is to use aromatic oils for insomnia. It is assumed that when inhaling the vapor of the ether, the molecules enter the lungs and are carried by blood throughout the body, including the center of smell. Under the influence of pleasant odors, the brain stimulates the release of endorphins, there is a feeling of well-being.
Various aromatic oils have special properties:
- Chamomile, lavender oil stabilize the emotional background, relieve anxiety and irritation.
- Benzoin facilitates the perception of unpleasant events, relieves stress.
- Bergamot soothes the symptoms of depression.
- Sage helps rejuvenate.
- Marjoram calms and warms.
- Rose oil helps to cope with nightmares.
- Rosemary, orange, fennel, basil, rose, mint, sandalwood, cypress oils are used for long-term sleep disorders, chronic insomnia.
- The smell of mint, fennel and laurel will remove the feeling of loneliness and incomprehension.
Apply an essential oil, for example, lavender, it is possible for massage, bath, inhalation, aromatic pendants.
Careful selection of aromatic oils due to possible allergic reactions.
Essential oils for insomnia inhaled with aromatic lamps. Add a few drops of the drug to the water. When the candle warms the liquid, the smell spreads throughout the room. The procedure is carried out with the windows closed from 20 minutes to 2 hours. Pre-premises air.
A small pendant or amulet made of ceramic, bone or jewelery has a cavity of porous clay inside it, which absorbs and preserves the aromas of essential oils. In such a medallion there is very little oil, it is believed that it is better to wear it in the afternoon not more than 3 hours.
Once in 3 days 1-3 drops of an aroma oil or a mixture of oils drip inside the pendant. The fragrance never completely disappears. Therefore, one pendant should be used for only one type of oil.
A warm bath in itself will help to quickly relax and relieve the stress of the working day. And the decoctions of herbs and flowers used for its preparation help calm the nervous system, restore heart rhythm. Healing baths can be prepared from various components.
- Peach and rose flowers: 100 g of peach flowers and 400 g of rose flowers pour 1 liter of water at a temperature of 60 ° С, infuse for 30 minutes. Pour the infusion into the bath with flowers.
- Lavender. 200 g of lavender flowers brew in 2 liters of boiling water and insist half an hour.
- Melissa and fir needles. 3 tablespoons of honey balm and 5 tablespoons of spruce needles are crushed, mixed and boiled in 1.5 liters of cold water for 10-15 minutes. Allowed to brew for half an hour.
- Juniper. 300 g of juniper needles are poured into a half liter of boiling water, boiled for half an hour, filtered and poured into water. Such baths are contraindicated for pregnant women.
- Honey. In a full bath pour 100 g of honey. To enhance the effect, you can add a few steamed mint branches.
- Hop cones. Crush 200 g of dried hop cones, pour 1 liter of cold water, put on low heat, bring to a boil and boil for 10-15 minutes. Broth insist half an hour, filter.
- Herbal collection. 200 g of a mixture of chamomile, medicinal valerian, motherwort and peppermint leaves pour 2 liters of boiling water, boil for 20 minutes. Such a bath take no more than 20 minutes. The collection is also used to prepare the broth and drink.
- Medical fee. For the preparation of medicinal collection mix 2-3 tablespoons of mint leaves and elderberry flowers, 1 tablespoonful of jasmine flowers and the same amount of elderberry flowers. Pour the mixture with a liter of hot water, muffle and insist 40-60 minutes. Strained solution is added to warm water.
Therapeutic baths are made not only from herbs and flowers. A positive effect on the nervous system has a bath with orange essential oil. 2 drops mixed with 5 drops of mint essential and 2 drops of chamomile oils.
Insomnia sea salt helps if you add it to a warm bath. She will relieve irritability and tension.
Rules of the procedure
The duration of bathing is usually 30 minutes, sometimes less. It is necessary to sit or recline in it, but so that the water reaches only the chest. You can make baths separately for the legs and arms. Water should not be hot. After taking it, lightly dip the body with a soft towel, then wrap it in and lie down under a blanket. A cup of hawthorn tea between the bathroom and bedtime will calm and normalize the heart rhythm.
Baths should be taken with caution to pregnant women and people with a tendency to allergies. Hot water is contraindicated for people with heart failure, varicose veins, hypertension.
Not so well-known, but very effective means – pillows made from fragrant plants. They help you fall asleep faster, cope with snoring and nightmares, calm down. Parts of fern, mint, pine needles, rose petals, and oregano are well suited for their preparation.
The combination of different plants will provide special aromas and unusual effects. Here are just a few useful blends:
- Hop cones and valerian roots.
- Origanum, mint, geranium, immortelle, pine needles, hop cones, rose petals, laurel.
- Pine needles, oregano, mint, hazel.
- Chamomile flowers, lemon balm, meadowsweet, mint, sprig of wormwood.
Some plants, such as jasmine, oregano and strawberry, emphasize the smells of other components, increase their impact. You can sleep on a pillow filled with herbs for no more than a week, then you should take a break.
Healing pillow can be made with your own hands from linen or cotton. If you plan to fill it with plants with a strong aroma, then it is better to make it small. Pillow in the form of a roller is suitable for sufferers of osteochondrosis.
Herbs are bought ready-made in a pharmacy or collected independently. Plants should be well dried. Only after that they are used for stuffing. To cushion not pricked, it must be made multi-layered. Before you put the dried plants inside the pillow, you should make sure that the person who will sleep on it is not allergic to them.
If the pillow is damp, it should be discarded immediately. Raw plants are a breeding ground for mold and fungi. Another negative quality of herbs is fast tracking. To keep the pillow shape, add straw to it.
For the treatment of insomnia folk remedies use different methods and components. Their use is based on long known and proven beneficial properties. There is no one recipe that can help cope with sleep problems. From the existing diversity, everyone can choose the one that suits him best.