What pills will help in the fight against high pressure headache
- 1 Hypertension and headache
- 2 What to do with headaches: first aid and medicines
- 3 The most effective drugs
- 4 Conclusion
High-pressure headache tablets are needed when cephalalgia is a symptom of chronic diseases and occurs frequently. For drug therapy using drugs of different groups, which one to appoint – the doctor decides on an individual basis.
Hypertension and headache
The reasons for the increase in pressure can be different. The physiological are nervous or psycho-emotional overload, against which the blood pressure increases dramatically. Pathological hypertension is a consequence of various diseases: diabetes, atherosclerosis, cerebrovascular or endocrine disorders, cardiac or renal failure.
A severe headache in all these cases is usually accompanied by other symptoms:
- dizzy, there is noise in the ears, dark in the eyes;
- face reddens due to rush of blood to the head, and the limbs become cold;
- the person is nauseous;
- sweating increases;
- shortness of breath or swelling may develop.
The nature of the painful sensations with elevated pressure may vary. Most often, the patient complains of a pulsating dull, arching pain in the temples, forehead or neck. Sometimes there are sharp impulses.
What to do with headaches: first aid and medicines
If high blood pressure is noted and a headache is severe, first of all you should lie down or sit down and relax. It requires fresh air (open window), a cool compress on the forehead and eyes also helps. Effective first aid measures at home include a hot foot bath, a herbal infusion with a calming effect (Valerian or motherwort).
These methods help to lower blood pressure in cases where the cause of its increase is an overstrain (physical or mental). Episodic attacks relieves drug-free aid effectively, but tablets are needed for chronic hypertension.
In this case, several groups of drugs are used to relieve pain:
- Myotropic or neurotropic antispasmodics. The first are drugs that directly affect the smooth fibers of the muscle tissue of the cerebral vessels – Drotaverine, No-spa, Papaverine. The latter reduce the tone of the vascular wall indirectly, affecting the receptors of the nervous system – alpha-blockers, m-cholinomimetics, calcium antagonists.
- ACE inhibitors. Angiotensin-converting enzyme contributes to the transformation of angiotensin, which narrows the vessels, into its biologically active form. Captopril, Enalapril and other drugs in the group block this enzyme, preventing the increase in vascular tone.
- Diuretics. Often a headache with increased pressure is a consequence of an increase in circulating blood volume. To reduce the pressure in this case, it is necessary to remove excess fluid from the body. Furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide, spironolactone increase urinary secretion, thereby reducing the bcc and the attack of cephalgia passes.
- Tranquilizers and antidepressants. They are widely used for hypertension, as they relieve nervous tension, activate the processes of inhibition, have a calming effect. With regular use, blood pressure stabilizes, headache rarely occurs.
Selection of a specific drug for hypertensive patients should be dealt with by the attending physician. For successful treatment, it is necessary to undergo an examination, determine the exact cause of the disease, prescribe a suitable dosage. In addition, there may be individual contraindications that also need to be considered, as well as drug incompatibility.
The most effective drugs
Below are some of the drugs in the headache tablets that accompany high blood pressure. You cannot take them yourself, like other painkillers for cephalgia.
For example, such a popular drug, as Citramon, is absolutely contraindicated. Its constituent components help to raise blood pressure and stop a painful attack with a weak tone of cerebral vessels. With hypertension, pressure-enhancing drugs can lead to severe irreversible effects. Therefore, treatment can only prescribe a doctor.
One of the slow calcium channel blockers, a dihydropyridine derivative. Preventing Ca ions from entering muscle cells2+, relaxes smooth muscles, helps relieve headaches with high blood pressure. The drug is absorbed quickly and adequately, acts for a long time. One pill of 5 mg is enough for a day.
It can be taken by pregnant women, and lactation is advised to stop breastfeeding for a while. Among the strict contraindications are only hypersensitivity and hypotension.
Effective myotropic antispasmodic, better known under the trade name No-shpa. Quickly relieve spasm (within 10 minutes after ingestion), has virtually no negative side effects.
Pregnant women are prescribed with caution, persons with individual intolerance or glaucoma are strictly contraindicated.
The drug of the same group, but with a less pronounced myotropic effect, is therefore used to relieve mild or moderate attacks of cephalgia.
Available in tablets for oral use, as well as in the form of rectal suppositories. Both dosage forms are equally effective.
A remedy for headache with increased pressure, alpha blocker, which screens specific receptors of the nervous system and prevents the initiation of smooth muscle fibers. In addition to the vasodilator, it has a complex of various effects:
- reduces the concentration of total cholesterol in the blood;
- reduces the number of atherogenic lipoproteins;
- inhibits platelet aggregation.
Thus, Doxazosin will not only relieve pain at high pressure, but also eliminate its cause – atherosclerosis. Side effects in the treatment process are extremely rare, the tablets are not contraindicated for pregnant and lactating women. Do not drink the drug only in the presence of hypersensitivity to its components.
A derivative of amino acids, the drug of ACE inhibitor groups. Effectively lowers blood pressure in hypertension of any severity, without adversely affecting the activity of the heart muscle. Available in tablet form 5, 10 or 20 mg. Since the active substance is slowly eliminated from the body, one dose per day is enough at the dose recommended by the doctor. Often causes adverse reactions from the central nervous system in the form of dizziness.
Enalapril is contraindicated in children, adolescents, pregnant and lactating women, patients with angioedema, renal failure.
The drug belongs to the group of loopback diuretics, which have the most pronounced diuretic effect. When prescribing Furosemide, numerous contraindications are taken into account, the patient’s age, the use of other groups of drugs.
The regimen is selected strictly individually: pills can be taken daily or every other day, the daily dosage and frequency of use also vary.
Tranquilizer with anxiolytic, muscle relaxant, sedative properties. Well helps to arrest the pain, when the head hurts with increased pressure caused by stress.
It is prescribed with caution, as it has many contraindications. The use of drugs for the treatment of pregnant women is possible only if there are vital indications.
Antidepressant prescribed for prolonged, persistent pain, migraine against the background of hypertension. The treatment is long, from several months to a year or more.
At the beginning of the course, undesirable reactions are often noted, which quickly pass.
Medicines are necessary when the pressure rises frequently and is accompanied by intense pain. To relieve episodic stress headaches, it is enough to calm down, relax, rest. Drug intake is possible only by doctor’s prescription. Persons with chronic illnesses, pregnant or nursing should be especially careful.